Friday, December 7, 2007

Dear Angry Mob (P.S.)

A choice quote from Tp - "The work on this blog SUCKS. You obviously can't draw hands or feet, or decent facial expressions, and that hatching thing is super distracting."



When you really want to criticise someones work who is in the same field as yourself, you're on steadiest ground when you make sure of two important things -

1) That you know whose work you're criticising and you know the full extent of their work.

2) That your own work is the best god damn work on the face of this planet and maybe even the universe.


In this case, well 1 is quite funny. But 2, well, Tp, I visited your blog and actually... I really liked some of the stuff there. You're doing great. Lets see if you keep up that momentum in when you're in the business for as long as many of us have been. I genuinely hope you do and wish you well with your career.

But are you at 2 yet?

I actually feel bad bringing it up as TP apologised and, while that was very cool of him, there was actually no need. That's what the comments are for. We're all entitled to our views and should be able to call it as we see it, even if we're not on that steady ground - after all, he was responding to what he perceived as an attack on other animators . But, importantly, he put forward the idea that we should be on the same team. He's right.

Tp, we are on the same team. And thanks for reminding me of that.

But, hey, when it comes down to it, the crappy drawings on this site (and they are pretty crappy) are a realistic interpretation of my life. See?


Except for the tentacles. I have no idea why the hell they are there.

Really I guess the main reason I'm bringing it up is to reiterate the point that this isn't an art blog. Not in the slightest. If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend Marlo Meekins. She has excellent work and huge hair and she's really pretty too. Her caricatures will blow you away. Ya think if this was an art blog, I'd be going into post-coital headaches? That would be a great subject to bring up while going through my showreel. "Hey, are you the depressed guy with the post-coital headaches? You know you can't draw hands, right?"



I wouldn't get that job.

Not an art blog guys.

2 comments:

TP said...

1) That you know whose work you're criticising and you know the full extent of their work.

Right now I'm criticiZing the work of an anonymous blogger who loves commenting on how much he hates things and doesn't have anything on his blog to back up the shit he talks.


2) That your own work is the best god damn work on the face of this planet and maybe even the universe.

So for someone to criticize your work they have to be Rembrandt?
I think it's really funny that you are trying to justify your cartoons like that!
This is you:
"I know it's not that great, but I like only worked on it for like 5 minutes, and I had like a ton of stuff to do today and plus it's not an art blog, so..."

but then you act like your work is ABOVE CRITICISM!

I mean, I do think that most of the cartoons on this blog are funny, but it's not like the art is funny, or really impressive or something.

And don't even expect me to believe that you think about the character having volume.

Bitter Animator said...

Thanks TP. All valid points and I appreciate them.

You're right about your volume suspicions - that's not a real model sheet (don't tell anyone).