Friday, February 20, 2009

What I saw


Tiny specs in space. Lives appearing and then vanishing without a trace and barely a memory. Are they even lives? Is it not just a burst of activity, our thoughts, feelings, desires all just by-products of a system simply to get us moving and procreating?

As key to the Universe as the brief life of a sperm on some hastily-grabbed tissue somewhere.

I was thinking this... seeing this, thinking about the nothingness and I knew - this is not a good road of thought to follow. It does not lead to a good place. But, nevertheless, that's what I saw.

Yet, when actually I came to draw it, as empty and pointless as the feeling was I was trying to illustrate, I couldn't help noticing just how beautiful that infinite nothingness around us is. And I can't come even close to capturing it. Maybe, from out there, I would see that rock, that pebble, is beautiful. And, if that's the case, we're all part of it - each of us, one tiny paint stroke that, together, makes up a wonderful canvas.

4 comments:

Red Pill Junkie said...

A good mentor of mind once wrote that the awareness of our own insignificance is precisely what makes us significant.

If you want to feel better about the universe, think this: more and more scientists are beginning to suspect that the ultimate defining element in the Universe is not some obscure undetected subatomic particle, but consciousness.

So even if we are mere nano-specs in the canvas of infinity, it would seem that nonetheless that infinity needs consciousness observing it in order to exist.

"The more I examine the universe and the details of its architecture, the more evidence I find that the universe in some sense must have known we were coming."
Freeman Dyson


Maybe we are nothing but neurons forming the mind of God, but you don't want God to suffer from Alzheimer's do you? ;-)

Anonymous said...

(sniff)

Beautiful.

Author said...

Yes the universe is probably a network of consciousness, we are all interconnected. There are some good videos on the subject on Youtube.
Your cartoon here is just beautiful, it captures those zen moments we have in everyday places. Beautifully written too. You are very talented.

Bitter Animator said...

Thanks Alex. I really appreciate that!