Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Blogs I read


The above image is a little unfair. There are way more blogs about animation or by animators or cartoonists.
Here are just some of the blogs I've been reading and, if you get a chance, might like to check out. These are in no particular order and is in no way a complete list - they're just the ones that pop into my head right now this very second. I do read the usuals like Cartoonbrew and Drawn and so on but I like to browse the ones below.


Uncle Eddie's - Always worth a look for his excellent photo stories which seem to get better and better. I honestly think Mr.F should sell a book of expressions for cartoonist and animator reference.

Double Date Collective - Jeaux Janovsky had a blog here, and I adore his style and, actually, the name of his old blog. He seems to have finished that blog and moved on to this Double Date Collective. I love that 'Self Promotion' album cover.

On an unrelated note, I seem to have something stuck in my teeth. I've been poking at it and now my mouth tastes of blood. That's not good. The last time I had something stuck in my teeth, it turned out to be a piece of tooth that had chipped off.

Anyway...

Ken Levine's blog - Ken Levine wrote on Cheers, MASH and a whole rake of fantastic sitcoms. He also has a very entertaining blog. Anyone interested in writing should check it out. I'm a huge sitcom fan in general so, well, like reading about sitcoms.

Animation Writers - And, also on writing, here's one I'm watching with interest. There's not a hell of a lot on it at the moment but people in animation on the drawing end are often so into it and you'll find blogs and sites everywhere. Enthusiasm among animation writers, well, I can't find that anywhere. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, which is why I'm keeping an eye on this one. Animation writers - show us you care. Please.

Loth Beg - Mr.Trombley's blog is generally an odd mix but my favourite posts of his are his music posts. He has introduced me to much I never would have discovered otherwise.

Fat City Cigar Lounge - Surf music!

I'll also add to the list any blog that featured the clip of Alex Mack kissing that girl from the doctor show who used to be in that one about aliens.

Seems it was a piece of pepperoni. In my teeth, I mean.

Lastly but certainly not leastly, I'm going to mention two more -

Andy's Animation - Andy was the first person to comment on my blog. He's a good guy and is getting on great with his animation. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Worldwide Containment Policy for Stratification - I don't really know what 'stratification' means but this is the blog of someone calling himself 'Tool' (likely not his real name). Tool is applying to the experimental CalArts programme but, man, I love what he's up to already. He's got these continuous painted bits in his animations that I think are great. I also like the ideas behind them.

So that's it for now. I occasionally browse more and find some really great stuff but there are just so many blogs out there. Oh, check out Ron's blog for som great Shatner clips. Oh and that Studio Headz blog is really interesting for anyone wanting to get an insight into what really goes on beyond your desk, though there's not much going on there at the moment. Oh, actually, just went looking for the link and it looks like it has been taken down. Oh well.

The taste of blood seems to have gone. I'm going to see if I can dig up that kissing clip again. If I hadn't done a blog on whatever it is I blog about I'd have done one about girls kissing.

3 comments:

Mr. Trombley said...

Dear Sir, I would like to thank you for the praise and publicity. I would like to tell you that another "noise" music post has been posted.

Scorrigan Corrigan said...

havent checked out all your reads yet, but i do know an animation writer; mark evanier, whos career as animation and comic writer, (but not artist) goes beck to the 70s? his blog is always good: www.newsfromme.com

Jeaux Janovsky said...

Many thanks for the shoutout Bit! I haven't been to yr blog in awhile, so i had some free time today and mosey'd on over! I love the fictional show, on the fictional channel, inside of your mind. Those are the best kinds. Too many channels in my mind.
In Highschool, i had a fictional band in my mind that changed names every week. the names that kept popping up most were Dislocated Pelvis and Flowers in the Dustbin. the last one being a sex pistols reference.
hope all is well!
sincerely,
JX