Wednesday, January 23, 2008

That Hanna Barbera Treasury book

Got it yesterday and, wow, that's one lovely book. How much must it cost to put something like this together? I mean, even just paying children in the Far East, it must still add up. There are pockets everywhere with goodies like replica mini comic books, storyboards, cards and more.

Some things that first strike me about the book - well, the shiny cards smell really toxic. I could feel my nostrils burn sniffing those. Don't try to tell me you've never sniffed book inserts because I know you'd be lying. We've all done it.

Also, it only goes up to the late 60s. Now many would argue that time period covers the golden age of Hanna Barbera and they're probably right. But it means no Funky Phantom or Captain Caveman. Maybe there's room for a second volume?

But what's there from the 50s and 60s that doesn't smell toxic is absolutely wonderful. Some real treats in there and loads to look at. Importantly, lots of stuff I had never seen before. I totally recommend it to fans of animation or anyone wishing to recapture feelings from their youth when life wasn't horrifically oppressive with people trying to shaft you over at every turn.

No comments: