Thursday, March 12, 2009

Turns out Saw V wasn't so great after all

Are you surprised?

It was messy. It told two stories, one of which I had no interest in and the other was mostly a montage of clips from previous Saw films. The character of Amanda was notably absent even though events took place around her. I wonder if they couldn't negotiate a deal or she just got bored doing Saw films or something.

This one was directed by a guy called David Hackl. Didn't he create Becker? This wasn't as funny as Becker. Actually there were a couple of unintentionally funny moments and, similarly, there have been some of moments in Becker that were unintentionally unfunny so maybe that fits. Probably not the same guy though. You know, because he would have had no problem getting the actress who plays Amanda... unless there was some dirt on the set of Becker... I think I may have to start some rumours.

But, yeah... not great. Not up to the lofty heights set by Saw III and Saw IV. I'll never understand how they never made the Oscar lists.

Man, they just don't make Saw films like they used to. Well, roll on Saw VI.

1 comment:

Red Pill Junkie said...

I've never been a fan of slasher films. I don't think I've ever seen one Halloween or Friday 13th movie!

But now that I think about it, the exception to the rule are the Nightmare on Elm Street films. I think I saw a few of those; but that's because I thought Freddy Krueger was so fucking cool; but after the 2nd, when it became pretty obvious that you could never kill a being that lived in the dream world, the premise became kind of tired :-/