Tuesday, December 23, 2008

All I want...

I've barely noticed Christmas coming this year. I think that's why I left the Christmas shopping so late. Work has been really busy, leading to the attempts at cancelling the holidays (my response took the form of a middle finger extension) and home life has been tiring and overwhelming and that plague I contracted didn't help matters.


With Christmas coming and, with it, the end of the year, all I find myself thinking about are the things I haven't done. The never-ending list of failed or, more usually, unattempted goals. And then I think I have to let myself off the hook and give myself a break but it's doing that that led to so many of them being left undone in the first place.

I am my own worst enemy. I should bomb myself from a great height in the name of freedom or something.


Next year, I'd like to hate myself less. I think for that to happen, I need to achieve something. Anything. This year, I achieved nothing. Yes, I need to get something done and make some progress next year.


If I don't, I'll just find myself wishing the world into oblivion for yet another Christmas.

7 comments:

susan said...

Mr. Animator-
Very happy holidays to you and your family.

I like your goal of hating yourself less in 09. Can I borrow it as a goal as well?

Mr. Trombley said...

Dear Sir,

Yet when the science community presents even a practically zero chance of destroying the world, you disagree with it.

http://mymedicatedlife.blogspot.com/2008/09/some-things-are-bad-idea.html

Will you not be satisfied unless you destroy the world atom by atom, dirt clod by dirt clod, layer by layer, all by yourself?

I just have one thing to say about that: such behavior would certainly be quite the workout.

Red Pill Junkie said...

"Next year, I'd like to hate myself less. I think for that to happen, I need to achieve something. Anything. This year, I achieved nothing. Yes, I need to get something done and make some progress next year."


Well, I'm sure you'll be able to achieve something next year. And maybe you did achieve something this year, as well. It's just that sometimes we downplay our own success, and simply utter "Meh" when someone else mentions them.

So that's the problem: when some people are at the top of the mountain, they convince themselves the mountain is in reality a big pile of manure. I should know: I'm a master of self-deprecation.

Meanwhile take comfort in the knowledge that you are at least going to expend this Holiday with someone that cares for you. Home life may be a bitch but it must be better than Home-less life; you sir, must be doing something right after all :-)

Austin Papageorge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Austin Papageorge said...

Merry Eve of Christmas Eve to you, by the waqy.

Red Pill Junkie said...

Merry Xmas, SeƱor Amargado! ;-)

Bitter Animator said...

Susan, yes, you may well make more use of my goal than I will.

Mr. T, I always reserve the right to change my mind, even on world destruction.

RPJ, yes, you're right. Something must be going right for me to have a home life. Hope you all have a happy Christmas or whatever holidays apply to you!