Friday, August 1, 2008

Siren

Man, this is one creepy game. Japanese horror films in general have a tendency to creep me out and this village full of happy blood-covered Japanese murderers really is the stuff of nightmares.

I wonder if that's racist?

I think it's more that the culture is a little more alien to me, and so there is less of a safety net. I am out of my own environment and it really is the unknown. Good horror, for me, relies on putting the audience at a disadvantage. And in Siren, with its poxy camera angles and fiddly controls, I really am at a disadvantage.

It's scary stuff. I used to want to go to Japan but if this is an accurate representation of the country (and I can't see why it wouldn't be), I think I'll hold off on that trip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I love the concept of Japan rather than the actuality of Japan. Music, movies, computer games, vending machines - they look for the extreme, lock it into a box and then throw that box into the Shimanto River.

growingupartists said...

I agree, but anytime SpongeBob land wants to become a real place, count me in!